Thursday, January 30, 2014

Overnight Oats!!!!

So my morning is hectic, I'll give you the morning routine... (Yes, it's saved to my iPad notes OCD style...)

5am: alarm goes off across the room to avoid a comfy snooze
5:15-5:30am: 2 cups of coffee, Kimbo outside, set out food/water for Kimbo, change into workout clothes
5:30-6:00am: Kinect workout 
6:00-6:30am: switch laundry, unload dishwasher, make girls' lunches, prep Bill's breakfast, 3 notes for my 3 favorite people
6:30-7:10am: girls up, girls dressed, brush teeth, hair done, their breakfast, out the door for the bus, eat something to nourish me through my run from 7:10-8am. <-------- this is where Overnight Oats enters. I need something with carbs, something fast, and something that won't upset my stomach while I run. 

This is amazing. Not like a little amazing, but the most delicious, most nutritious ridiculousness you have ever eaten. And you make it the night before and it's just sitting and waiting for you in the morning. Awesome. 
In a glass canning jar:
1/2c steel cut oats (Benefits)
2T chia seeds (Benefits)
1 scoop of protein powder (I use isolate 100 calorie powder with no sugars or carbs)
     Shake these three vigorously.
Add 1/2c almond milk, I use vanilla unsweetened
Then toppings, I use 1/4c cranberries.
     DO NOT SHAKE, yes I know it looks like it needs stirred or shaken, IT DOESNT, trust me, you'll thank me in the morning. Put in the fridge, in the morning take our, NOW stir, eat half!!
This recipe makes 2 servings, I just scooped out half in the morning into a bowl, left the other half (confession: I ate the rest tonight, it's that good), and has 353 calories per serving. And honestly it was amazing how great it made me feel, totally energized. 

Tomorrow, I have to be to work at 6am, this does not make my morning routine run smoothly, but it'll work out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment