Monday, February 24, 2014

Apple Cinnamon Streusel Muffins & My Furry Running Partner

Had a terrific morning strength training workout followed by a chilly, raining run with my furry pup! Took her off the leash today since the path was empty, and to my surprise she didn't get more than 5 feet from me. She's a terrific running partner and finally gaining a little speed. 
Tonight, since I just heated up a pre-made freezer meal that I prepped last week, I had time to make some delicious and super healthy Apple Cinnamon Streusel Muffins for my fam!!!
Apple Cinnamon Streusel Muffins
2c plus 3T whole wheat flour
2/3c plus 3T pure maple syrup
1/4c unsalted pecans, finely chopped
2t ground cinnamon 
1/2t plus 1/8t sea salt
1/4t plus 1/8t nutmeg
2T organic unsalted butter, melted
2t baking powder
1/2t baking soda
1 apple (I used an organic honey crisp apple), peeled, cored & chopped
1 large egg
1c reduced-fat buttermilk
1c unsweetened applesauce
3T safflower oil

Preheat oven to 375 degrees, line 12 count muffin pan with paper liners. Prepare topping, in small bowl, combine 3T flour, 3T pure maple syrup, pecans, 1/2t cinnamon, 1/8t salt and 1/8t nutmeg. Drizzle with butter and stir with fork until moistened. In large bowl, whisk together remaining ingredients. Divide batter into muffin cups. Crumble topping over muffin batter evenly. Bake until toothpick comes out clean, 20-25 minutes. 

Even Bill, who doesn't dig healthy food, loved these! Sweet success!

No comments:

Post a Comment