Monday, February 3, 2014

Quitting Diet Pepsi... Starting Green Smoothies???

A few months ago my MIL came to visit, she's a very healthy gal and she mentioned aspartame and risks she had heard about, I thought that the risks and studies had more or less been debunked. Turns out I was incorrect. First, reading a e-book put out by the people at HIIT where they describe why they don't recommend artificial sweeteners, especially my beloved Aspartame, and the multitude of health risks, the negative impacts on healthy eating, and weight gain. Yes, read it again, weight gain. The reason I've always drank DIET Pepsi was to not get the calories from regular soda but studies show that aspartame and other sweeteners actually make the body crave carbohydrates. Like I need help with that?!?!? Then I watch a show called "Hungry For Change" on Netflix, let's just say if you can watch that and not be at least concerned about your aspartame intake, you have more issues than sweeteners. Seven days and no soda... And actually, other than at 3pm, I am doing just fine. Considering I've been drinking anywhere from 1 to 16ish diet Pepsi's a day since I was in the 10th grade, I'm doing pretty damn good, cold turkey.

And I've taken up green smoothies. I'm usually pretty anemic, I take an iron supplement that I hate. So hoping with drinking spinach each morning I can get away from the supplement. 
I use an Ikea measuring cup, the one that came with my Cuisinart hand mixer isn't big enough. 
1/2c banana
1/2 apple
1 large kale leaf, stem removed
1c spinach
2 stalks of celery
1 scoop isolate protein powder
1c water 

Blend. Add ice, it is not even tolerable warm. Trust me. 

I'm getting sick. I hate to admit it, but I am. Day one into my 20 weeks before the CDA marathon, and sick. But I got a great Pilates workout in and a 5k treadmill run. 

No comments:

Post a Comment